Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Narratives

Do you ever feel suspicious about the line between constructed narratives and everyday life? I don't so much in everyday life, but when I encounter representations of life - the news, the movies, print of any type, etc. - I wonder. I used to get all excited when I got the facts. Now, I've realized "the facts" is not a straightforward set of information at all. Everyone is trying to convince you that their clip, their quote, their story is the truth. Not just newsy shit, mind you. I mean everything. What I'm getting at is the feeling of being in a classroom and being told that we are exploring the facts about a narrative. Fuck! Isn't the class a narrative? Isn't academic discourse a narrative? What privileges it above the intuitions of the folk? Remind me, one more time, why learning more will make me smarter. It seems that it just raises a whole new world of doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment